Airports in Bangladesh | Bangladeshi Airports details
Bangladesh has a total of 15 airports. However, three airports in Bangladesh provide international flights, the remaining twelve serve domestic flights. Moreover, there are two types of Airports in Bangladesh. These are :
- International Airports
- Domestic Airports
International Airports in Bangladesh:
An international airport is a point of entrance and exit for international aviation traffic where customs, immigration, public health, animal and plant quarantine and other processes are completed. Moreover, these airports adhere to the International Civil Aviation Organization’s (ICAO) standards.
The Airports are:
- Firstly, Hazrat Shahjalal International Airport, Dhaka
- Secondly, Shah Amanat International Airport, Chattogram
- Thirdly, Osmani International Airport, Sylhet
1. Hazrat Shahjalal International Airport, Dhaka:
This is the country’s largest and most important international airport. However, it is situated in Dhaka, which is the capital city of Bangladesh. Moreover, HSIA is where almost all international travellers board and depart. In addition, it is responsible for more than 90% of CAAB’s aeronautical duties.
General Information of HSIA
- ICAO ID: VGHS
- IATA CODE: DAC
- Latitude: 05N
- Longitude: 02E
- TWR FREQ: 3 MHz, 119.3 MHz
- ACC FREQ: 7 MHz, 129.7 MHz
- DVOR: 7 MHz
- NDB: 298 kHz
Hazrat ShahJalal International Airport Facilities:
Hazrat Shahjalal International Airports provides different kinds of facilities to their users. Here we have listed some of the facilities for the users.
- Multi-storied car parking along with open car parking facilities
- Passenger lounge
- Free luggage Trolley
- Wheelchair facilities for physically disabled passengers
- Visitor facilities
- Banking System
- Duty-Free Shop
- Hotel Booking System
- Flight Information Display System
- Cargo Services
2. Shah Amanat International Airport, Chattogram:
This airport is located in Chattogram which is a port city. However, it is the second biggest airport in the country and serves as a backup to HSIA.
General Information of SAIA
- ICAO ID: VGEG
- IATA CODE: CGP
- Latitude: 221525.28N
- Longitude: 95E
- TWR FREQ: 4 MHz, 119.4 MHz
- VOR: 113.4 MHz
- NDB: 287 Khz
- Parking: Any passenger carrying vehicle can be parked in SAIA for up to 24 hours.
- Banking Services: The terminal provides foreign currency exchange services.
- Hotel Reservations: The Shah Amanat International Airports Authority offers hotel reservations to its guests. Moreover, from the airport lounge, anyone may reserve a hotel.
- Security: A large number of armed forces members, as well as closed-circuit cameras, are present for security purposes.
- FIDS and Luggage Wrapping: The Airport Authority also provides a Flight Information Display System (FIDS) and luggage wrapping services.
3. Osmani International Airport, Sylhet:
It is located in the city of Sylhet, a district in Bangladesh’s northeast corner. Moreover, it has been renovated to an international one in order to better serve the population of the region, which is known for having a big number of British residents.
General Information of OIA
- ICAO ID: VGSY
- IATA CODE: ZYL
- Latitude: 245740.83N
- Longitude: 0915217.89E
- TWR FREQ: 122.9 MHz, 122.5 MHz
- VOR: 116.4 MHz
- NDB: 372 kHz
- Car parking facility
- Luggage Trolley
- Wheelchair Facility
- First Aid
- Banking System
- Cargo Service
Domestic Airports in Bangladesh:
The term “domestic airport” refers to an airport that solely handles domestic or intra-Bangladesh flights. Moreover, Bangladesh has a total of 12 domestic airports. However, only five of these airports are fully operational. Three airports are awaiting approval, while the remaining airports do not offer any services.
Operational Domestic Airports in Bangladesh:
Bangladesh currently operates five domestic airports. Moreover, from these airports, passengers may travel to various locations in Bangladesh. They are:
- Firstly, Cox’s Bazar Airport
- Secondly, Shah Makhdum Airport, Rajshahi,
- Thirdly, Jessore Airport
- Fourthly, Saidpur Airport
- Lastly, Barishal Airport
Needs prior approval for Domestic air operation:
These three airports are totally prepared and equipped to handle domestic flights. However, these will start working when they have been approved. They are:
- Firstly, Tejgaon Airport
- Secondly, Bogura Airport
- Thirdly, Shamshernagar Airport (STOL)
Even though three airports are operational, none of them provides any services. The airport’s list is given below:
- Firstly, Ishurdi Airport
- Secondly, Comilla Airport (STOL)
- Thirdly, Thakurgaon Airport.
Under Construction Airports:
Bagherhat’s Khan Jahan Ali Airport is one of Bangladesh’s airports still under development. However, it is hoped to receive clearance for a functioning air operation in a short amount of time.